As fashions have changed over the years, one accessory over any other has made itself cool, and then uncool again more times than Miley Cyrus.
Glasses.
Spectacles, goggs, geps, specs... Whatever you want to call them, glasses are a necessary (not always evil) fact of life for those unfortunate to be blind as the proverbial bat.
My own eyesight has been on the blink (oh I'm on a roll with the puns here...) since I was about 7 years old, when my mother marched me to the local Specsavers to find out the cause of the crazy eye stretches I had taken to doing whilst watching TV.
Since then, every 2 or 3 years, I have been summoned back to the opticians chair, and each time, been told my eyesight had again deteriorated, and sent away with some shiny new glasses.
I've had blue ones, tortoise shell ones, pink ones, round ones, square ones, bendy ones, unbreakable ones... You name it!
At my last eye test about a year ago, I was told that my eyes had now become so bad, I was required to wear my glasses for driving. So I splashed out on a designer pair, given I was now actually expected to wear my geps in public.
So, imagine my surprise when said glasses started giving me crippling headaches a few weeks ago whenever I wore them.
Why would this be? Have my eyes got worse again so soon?
Obviously I now work in an office where 8 hours a day staring at a computer screen is mandatory, so naturally, I feared the worst.
Booking myself in for a re-test, I was therefore DELIGHTED and baffled to hear the news that for the first time in 15 years, my eyes have IMPROVED!
2 points of vision gained back in each eye. How and why, I have no idea, but I'm thrilled!
I picked up my shiny shiny new glasses yesterday and probably for the first time since becoming a speccy four eyes, I actually want to wear them, 24/7.
I love them!
Glasses are back in style again, the bigger the frame, the better!
My delightful boyfriend pointed out that in this latest pair, I bear a striking resemblance to Velma from Scooby Doo (if I had dark hair and a penchant for orange knitwear).
But even so... Bothered much?
Not in the slightest.
L x
8-)

No comments:
Post a Comment