So this is the blockade I'm creating inside bedroom doorway in protest to my family's plans for my lovely room after I leave at the weekend.
My brother is planning to buy a pool table and use my bedroom as a hustler lounge. My Dad has other ideas and wants to create a "guitar room", so I figured sod it, I'm blocking myself in!
I'm kidding. This is only a small example of how much stuff I am taking away with me! Pillows, duvets, kitchen utensils, bedding, bins, lamps, salt and pepper shakers... Literally everything but the kitchen sink currently resides in carrier bags littered all over my house.
I don't leave until Sunday, but I have already started packing everything into boxes just as a way of reassuring myself that everything is going to fit into one car!
I knew I had a lot of stuff, most of it completely useless but of huge sentimental value to me. I knew I was going to have to be ruthless in deciding what to take with me, but along with all this new stuff, I'm really not sure my poor little studio flat is going to cope under the weight of it all!
Not that I think the floors are going to cave in or anything... I hope.
Something else that has thrown all of the "stuff" into question this week has been my endless online search for home contents insurance; again, something I have never had to think about before. How am I supposed to know what all my stuff is worth put together?
With the exception of my Kurt Geiger high- heeled shoe collection, which I have made the difficult decision to leave in Geordieland where they belong, I'm a fairly Primani budget kind of girl, my entire wardrobe could probably be covered for a couple of hundred, but Compare the Meerkat wouldn't hear of this, and instead offered me a quote that would cost £11,999 a year to insure £1500 worth of stuff. Logical.
So I am still at square one! With the exception of this, everything else is pretty much sorted now. As hard as it is going to be to say goodbye to friends and family, I'm really looking forward to getting settled in my new little home now, surrounded by just a few home from home comforts...
L x

No comments:
Post a Comment